Subject: Re: UKNM: RE: boo's demise/ stock
From: Stefan Magdalinski
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 11:15:38 +0100

benatbabyhippo [dot] com wrote:

> On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 03:26:14PM -0500, Stewart Dean wrote:
> > Functionality doesnt equal usability.
>
> Stewart,
>
> That's not right. If a good has sold out and is not going to be replaced,
> shop would not have a poster in the window saying "polo shirts £20
> (hopefully some will arrive sometime)". They would remove the sign and boo
> is merely doing the same.

I think Stewart was talking slightly broader than that. I think the
stock thing we can possibly all agree on, and boo does it well. the rest
of the nav is arse though. I've studied boo a lot, I'm a superb browser,
and I didn't buy anything because I got fed up with trying to find the
buy button.

> > Just because something does something doesnt mean people can use it to
do
> > that task.
> >
> And sometimes you don't have any choice in the matter. (I must remember to
> look but from what I remember it is illegal to advertise items you don't
> intend to restock in some european countries).
>
> > The example given does clearly demonstrate a bad user assumption on the
> > behalf of Boo.
> >
> And displaying items that are out of stock would be a better solution?
> Personally there is nothing more annoying then finding the item you wanted
> is out of stock, expected date in stock unknown.
>
> > Ian that is the heart of your problem and the one thing many people
simply
> > refuse to accept - the people who built boo do not understand usability.
> Get
> > that right and you're there!
> >
> Usability is subjective. What you think is good is not the same as
everyone
> else. Granted Boo's website is not the worlds greatest but I think that
> probably has as much to do with Organic (remember them) as anything else.

rubbish. 'What you think is good' is not usability. Usability is
absolutely objective. Usability can be empirically measured. pageviews,
conversion rates, errors, and pathways through your site, can be
counted, measured.

If we were working together, and we had two ideas about how an element
of the navigation should work, I could demonstrate to you exactly which
of the two were better. and it might not be mine, but I'd then KNOW you
were right, and I'd be happy.

An idea I had, I'm not sure if anyone's ever implemented it:

you're an existing site, you've got problem with certain elements of
your navigation, and some ideas about how to fix it. you implement your
three possible solutions, and set unique user cookies to partition your
user base for a period of time. you leave 85% seeing the original site,
and try each new design out on 5% of the remaining, using the cookie to
ensure that a user only sees one of the alternatives for the entire test
period.

you then analyse your logs, and see which design worked best.

1. you leave 90% out of the test, because you ensure your 5% sample size
is enough to be statistically useful, and these users only see the
design change once.

I don't believe this would work for a two radically different designs,
because you'd upset your users too much by forcing then to change twice.
it also doesn't work if you introduce too many variables in the new
designs. you'll never be able to analyse the data properly.

has anyone ever tried to do this?

stefan

--
/** Stefan Magdalinski, computin