Subject: UKNM: Boo and usability (again)
From: Stewart Dean
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 11:21:57 +0100

Not quite...

> > Just because something does something doesnt mean people
> can use it to do
> > that task.
> >
> And sometimes you don't have any choice in the matter. (I
> must remember to look but from what I remember it is illegal
> to advertise items you don't intend to restock in some
> european countries).

If it is a matter of not restocking and never having those items that is one
thing. In this case the importance was to give a clear indication of what
the site sells. If the product sells out then of course remove it but ensure
the customer will know what to expect in the near future.

> > The example given does clearly demonstrate a bad user
> assumption on the
> > behalf of Boo.
> >
> And displaying items that are out of stock would be a better
> solution? Personally there is nothing more annoying then
> finding the item you wanted is out of stock, expected date in
> stock unknown.

It's annoying but better than simply removing the item tempory from the
site. If you remove the item customers will assume that item is not sold by
that site.

> > Ian that is the heart of your problem and the one thing
> many people simply
> > refuse to accept - the people who built boo do not
> understand usability. Get
> > that right and you're there!
> >
> Usability is subjective.

Wrong. Usability is a science. You build a theory using research then
objectively test it.

At it stands the vast majority of companies never do this (we do). There are
methods and means of increasing the usability of a project and many many
guidelines to allow increased usability. As it stands visual design is far
easier to see and reproduce than usabilility and interactivity design. If
you get the elements of usability right they become invisible.

Stewart Dean - SDeanatscient [dot] com
Customer Experience
Scient*: The eBusiness Systems Innovator*
Be part of an epic. Send CVs to Belegendary-in-londonatscient [dot] com