Subject: UKNM: Re: sites and the environment
From: Steven Montgomery
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 10:21:13 +0100

Hi.

I am very wary of these sorts of sites. Broadly, they tend to reduce
complex
and important issues to (bad) soundbites. If you care about environmental
issues, or want to help people in some of the poorest countries, there are
things that really do need to be done (eg. political agreement on climate
change
or debt relief), and organisations which you can support.

On a more personal note - you would be surprised how many environmental
organisations are actually working with some of the most environmentally
damaging companies.

Steven Montgomery
Development Manager
Friends of the Earth

stevenmatfoe [dot] co [dot] uk
http://www.foe.co.uk
tel: +44 20 7566 1604
fax: +44 20 7490 0881
-----------------
Do you really know what you're eating?
http://www.foe.co.uk/realfood/

> hi
>
> what do people think of sites designed to encourage users to
> visit the site
> daily and hit a button which contributes towards the cause -
> no expense to
> them - and generally inform people about ventures that are helping the
> planet?
>
> i've come across two in the last week http://rainforest.care2.com/ and
> www.runningmanonline.com (nothing to do with us i hasten to
> add) and both
> are fantastic ideas in different ways.
>
> the rainforest one encourages you to click to save a certain number of
> square feet of forest and asks you to register friends which
> enables you to
> save yet more forest. the daily updates you receive enable
> you to see which
> friends have registered and which haven't.
>
> runningmanonline is all about these guys in Amazon rainforest
> investigating
> the source of ecological problem areas. They are sending
> back video diaries
> on a daily basis and visitors are asked to interact and
> suggest actions they
> should take or what they should do next.
>
> both are fantastic ideas but apart from being sent the url by
> friends, i
> have heard nothing about them.
>
> anyone got any facts/figures on whether or not sites like this work?
>
> thanks
> debbie
>

> --
> Debbie Caldicott, Head of PR and New Business
> Motion Pixels
> Web strategy, consultancy and design

Steven Montgomery
Development Manager