Subject: Re: UKNM: Search Engines and Shopping Malls ?
From: Andrew Warner
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 16:52:06 +0100

My bone of contention with some of the shopping sites is that they make claims that they offer independent and objective reviews of sites. Then within a day of their TV ads being on air, their reps ring me up and tell me that if I give them a shedload of cash I will get a favourable review. Yes I know that's life it just annoys me as a consumer. (Perhaps I'm becoming too idealistic in my old age).
To give an example of a shopping site that pissed me off recently (not that this particular one has called asking for cash to improve my listings) I recently decided to give Shopsmart a try. I used a site that they gave a glowing recommendation to buy a CD. The service I got from the site they had recommended was absolute pants. Subsequently I spoke to three other people who also had bad experiences with the site in question. I therefore went back to Shopsmart and asked whether there was a way in which customers could feed into their ratings (half knowing the answer). They had told me I was going to a site with five star service, which in fact offered nothing that could be described in any way as *service*. It goes without saying that they didn't have any intention of factoring in customer experiences of the sites they rated, and merely suggested I complained to the site I'd bought the CD from (as if I hadn't already thought of that!). grrr
Andrew
Andrew Warner, andrew [dot] warneratemaponline [dot] com Head of Marketing, EMAP Online, Priory Court, 30-32 Farringdon Lane, London. EC1R 3AW
hey all !!

>Do you think that it is fair to the consumer that companies can get within
>the 1st 5 listings of a search engine via payments and technical trickery ?
[Sam says: msg chopped...]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ the UK's totally managed affiliate marketing solution. ukaffiliates.com >> the net.working http://www.ukaffiliates.com / mailto:salesatukaffiliates [dot] com telephone: 020 7691 1880 / fax: 020 7691 1881 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To unsubscribe or change your list settings go to http://www.chinwag.com/uk-netmarketing or helpatchinwag [dot] com