Subject: UKNM: Re: UKNM Digest V1 #106
From: Ian Tester
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 16:25:19 +0000 (GMT)

I actually am sometimes impressed with the way BT tailor their copy: it's
really not true to say they don't tailor to individual sites. Take the BT
Highway campaign. 9 pieces of copy that I can recall, all well tailored to
the individual sites they were placed on: a few examples -

Overall theme of campaign (I guess!) = speed and convenience, so a few
examples

Tailored for gamers: Kill your friends more quickly, and insult them on the
phone at the same time

"loaded-style" audience: "Be quicker at pulling - information off the web"
"Hey you! Don't be a wimp!"
Techie sites (vnunet etc): "28k out of date - 56k up to date - 128k cutting
edge""does your PC plod?"
Car sites; "the web just found a new accelerator"
as well as a few pieces of more general copy.

However, in truth, althought this kind of tailoring is on the increase, it
is far from being the norm. Advertisers will get wiser.....