Subject: Re: UKNM: DTV Industry: Is There One?
From: Anna Pedroza
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:51:30 +0000 (GMT)

Sajid Mohammed <g23atrocketmail [dot] com> wrote:
> Very few people in the 'new media' seem to be taking DTV seriously at
> all. We've all been here before ("The Internet? Isn't that just for
> programmers and video game fans?") but I would have thought that the
> impact of emerging technologies over the last few years would have got
> people wise to the fact that at least they deserve some intelligent
> discourse.

I don't think this is true. I organised an event last week with NTL, Web
TV and United News and Media entitled 'An Overview of DTV' - nothing if not
original - and over 150 new media companies based in Sussex attended. I
think new media companies are interested and taking it seriously, however
many companies are unclear of the skills they will need or where to source
them.

At present it seems to me that you have to be a pretty big player to see
any of the action or already have a mixed team with experience in TV
production and the right contacts. Many of the companies I work with are
waiting on the major agencies to have informed their clients about how they
can utilise DTV and for consumer facing companies - such as Thomson
Holidays who recently advertised for someone to put together their I TV
strategy - to start to make a move into this media.

I would be interested to hear what others on this list feel about the type
of skills new media companies need to have in place and, in particular,
whether the predicted culture clash between TV production and new media is
likely.

Thanks to Online Magic for the new DTV list I suspect this should have been
my first post there ...... ho hum.

Anna