Subject: UKNM: RE: Credit Card Fraud
From: Ian Tester
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:02:41 GMT

Robin Edwards <robinatclockworx [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote:

"I did read of one system that apparently uses a special technique to give
merchants a scoring for a potential transaction, based on the information
presented (e.g. name and address as well as CC details) then leaving the
merchant to choose whether or not to proceed with the transaction. The fact
that the company said it couldn't explain how it worked because that was
their USP put a big question mark over it for me though."

I know that CyberSource (www.cybersource.com) have their own proprietary
system that looks for things like web-based email, time of day, gender,
discrepancies between delivery & billing address, frequency of purchase
attempts etc etc etc . . this process kicks in after the card has been
Authorised by the merchant, and uses algorhythms to build a cumulative
"fraud likelihood score" which you can then set at a certain level to accept
or decline the card. I'm sure some of the other providers have a similar
system.

I also read in a Jupiter report of one majorish online retailer that's so
concerned about fraud that they delete 28% of their Customer Orders from
their database - sounds like a lot of work. The address verification thing
would be a total bonus in Europe, but can work pretty well for the US . . .

BTW, have you seen that Fletcher Research has been acquired by Forrester?

Ian Tester, Business Development - boo.com
boo.com Group Ltd, 5-7 Carnaby Street, London W1V 1PG
M +44(0)7880 557692 F +44(0)20 7950 0951 E ian [dot] testeratuk [dot] boo [dot] com