Subject: RE: UKNM: RE: boo.com - should we be surprised?
From: Robin Edwards
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:53:06 GMT

A wee bit harsh, Paul, but I think the point you are making is that it is
the chiefs that need shooting, not the indians. Even then, though, for all
we know Organic's chiefs were saying, "No, no, no - think about the user's
experience" and boo.com were replying, "Bah humbug - get some more
animations in there. We like animations."

Getting the balance right, if the client is adamant about how they want to
do it, is a difficult job indeed.

Robin

--
Robin Edwards
Clockworx Design Limited

On Wednesday, November 17, 1999 12:28 PM, Paul Durrant
[SMTP:pdurrantatindigo [dot] ie] wrote:
> Stewart Dean wrote: Looks like Boo has approached the project
> like some kind of new media show case rather than an actual
shop..........

> Boo is a great oportunaity thrown away by what looks like gross new media
> incompitence. I suspect there where an awful lot of talkers on this
project
> but very few doers so to speak.
> I couldn't agree more...
>
> If it wasn't for the damage that Boo could well be doing the industry,
because of its marketing budget, I'd shrug it off as just another bad site
that will no doubt fail (i.e. never turn a profit) unless some massive
re-investment is put into a complete rewrite.

> BUT should we be surprised? The underlying problem is nothing new. All
of us, whether in paper, tv or web agencies have seen it a thousand times
before.... over self-indulgent, arogant, designers and technophiles being
let produce (probably due to media ignorance of the client) what they want,
rather than what the client needs and the client's customers require!

> Getting that business led balance right is what the jobs of good account
managers, technical directors AND creative directors in agencies, are all
about.