Subject: RE: UKNM: Internet and credit cards
From: Nabil Shabka
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 17:47:06 GMT

I think we need to be realistic about what's happening out there, the
Internet is not responsible for more credit card abuse, merely a great
conduit for it. Everyone commenting earlier has been partially right.
There have been no reported stolen card numbers on the net but, yes, the net
has a lot of fraud being run through it. ie you're safe giving your number
on the net but, if you lose it in a restaurant, it may be used tomorrow
around the world on the net. Instead of a fraud involving a few people, it
can be global.

Did anyone see the Money Programme last week regarding Internet fraud.
Yeah, they went with the 'I don't trust the net' stories. Who cares. I
feel terrible for those who unbeknownst to them are ripped off and have
their credit card details sent around the net and I feel pity for those who
fall into obvious scams. The same people who give money to strangers who
call them up with goldmines in Siberia and part with cash are the same
people who send cheques to people who send them emails about goldmines in
Siberia. Remember 'the more things change, the more they stay the same'.
They mentioned the case of a fake Bloomberg article to ramp a stock. Plain
old fashioned fraud, been done before many times. The difference here, the
speed and reach of the fraud, that's all.

The Internet simply magnifies everything due to the speed and reach of
communications. Same crimes, different delivery. Cards aren't stolen on
the net, merely used on the net - regardless of whether YOU actually use the
net or not.

It is not any riskier to use your credit card on the net than on the phone
or in a restaurant.

Nabil Shabka
Founder & CEO
BiblioTech