Subject: UKNM: Re: UKNM Digest V1 #319
From: Tom Hume
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 15:58:56 GMT

At 11:31 PM 11/23/99 +0000, UKNM Digest wrote:

>Basically it's to allow web pages to be downloaded to a wireless device
>(read mobile phone.) HTML web pages designed for a PC screen are not suited
>to the four line display of a mobile phone. To be effective HTML pages need
>to be translated into wireless mark-up language = WML.

There's a bit more to it than just changing the markup language. Whilst
there are a number of products out there which translate "automatically"
from HTML to WML (some of which do it quite well -
http://www.argogroup.com/ do one which springs to mind), IMHO the
limitations of phones (both in terms of display size and storage capacity)
mean that you're looking at completely repurposing services for wireless
devices instead of doing a straight translation. Bear in mind the different
usage patterns between mobiles and the web on top of this (web = browsing,
mobiles = quick access to services) and rethinking even basic assumptions
when doing WAP apps looks much more sensible.

Maybe Geoff can comment on this, as a major content provider who're
providing a WAP feed?

>Everyone and his brother is planning to do this - I'm looking for content
>services that are already enabled.

I guess Orange are the guys to check out at the moment then, being the only
network provider in the UK who are currently WAP-enabled (with a "walled
garden" service - Vodafone and Cellnet are on the other hand planning to
take an open approach).

Tom
---
Good Technology Ltd.