Subject: UKNM: Re: Free Link Finder
From: Tim Ireland
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 19:39:39 GMT

"nick berry" <nick [dot] berryatadvertwizard [dot] com> asked:
> I don't think Free Links is quite such a hot potato, but does anyone know
> whether it is worth submitting to one of these sites that promises to link
> you to 8,000 other sites (or pay for a service that links you to 25,000)
??
> Do you get traffic or this just another form of spam that everyone ignores
?
> I've not encountered the concept of free links before, but I am being
> seduced by the thought of traffic and the thought of loads of links back
> (that would boost my SE ranking ??).

No, it's not.

If you get any traffic, I'd be surprised - because you are one of 500 links
(or thereabouts) on some crappy page in the middle of nowhere.

So no, no traffic.

If you get any value from the link popularity, I'd be even more surprised -
because these are nearly always automated pages that refresh with each new
submission. You could only be there for a matter of days, or more likely
hours or minutes.

So no, no SE boosting.

But yes - you will get lots and lots and lots of lovely spam to whichever
email address you use for the submission. At least one 'confirmation' spam
from each and every one of the thousands of sites who have so kindly linked
to you for a millisecond, advising you of the link in one breath and trying
to sell you snake oil in the next.

Don't be seduced by the dark side - just leave it alone.

Tim Ireland
Director of Marketing
www.designercity.com