Subject: Re: UKNM: Wimps?
From: Phil Gyford
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 16:44:06 GMT

At 12:49 26/10/98 +0000, you wrote:

>But wouldn't it be nice, if just for once, we could build something
>homegrown and keep it, or even *export* something over there? I
>congratulate the Sunbathers on the fine work they've done, and hope they
>get the support and recognition they deserve. But I still feel sad that
>the only exit strategy for UK companies is to bash your head against the
>wall for a few years and then get bought out by a US company who can do
>so, not because they're more talented, better managed, or better at
>business, but basically they started (possibly at the same time, if not
>later) in a place where people believe in what we build and are willing
>to invest in it, in more than a pocket change way, and so have big wads
>of 'valuable' paper with which to buy us all up.

And doesn't the profit end up back in the States, just as it does with
swallowed up companies in any industry and 'global' brands like Coke,
Nissan etc? Great that this supports small Sunbatherish companies, provides
jobs etc, but at the end of the day it's not the parent country is
benefitting more.

Phil Gyford

http://www.gyford.com / philatgyford [dot] com
h:0171.622.9058 / w:0171.766.6491 / m:0850.958.299
Deputy Editor, Capital Interactive / http://capitalinteractive.com