Subject: Re: UKNM: A quick Language question
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:11:54 GMT

From: Neelesh Sonawane <neeleshatblue-d [dot] demon [dot] co [dot] uk>

>An American friend is in a dilema. He is designing a site for a translator
>and represented the English language with an American flag.

At the risk of drifting into the murky world of web design I have to ask the
question - why flags? Quite apart from being a bit of a cliché (although if
you look at our US associate's site, as below, you'll see the split flag
alternative on display), it causes some obvious problems. Lots of Americans
speak Spanish, lots of Canadians speak French, etc. Why not just use the
words "English", "Français", perhaps with a bit of creative typography
(something that most web designers seem to shun).

But don't take my advice on web design. I am not qualified to give it. And
I'm sure one of the hotshot creative agencies out there can come up with
something more imaginative than flags to illustrate language. Any offers?

Ray Taylor NMC/Adplan +44 181 639 0015
Euro-Marketing Associates www.euromktg.com
Look out for our UK launch - soon