Subject: UKNM: Three cheers Amazon UK
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 09:40:55 GMT

This follows previous threads on automation, customer service and
venture capital funding.

I ordered a book on Wednesday from amazon.co.uk and was heartily
impressed by the quality of service imported by the best known bookshop
in the world.

a.. Order system simple and took no time to complete
b.. Courteous acknowledgement by email
c.. Dispatch notification, again polite and friendly, the next day
d.. Delivery within 48 hours
e.. Book arrived in pristine condition. Unlike the grubby objects
you get from high-street stores it was obvious this book had never been
thumbed by a bearded intellectual.

But I think the thing that impressed me most was the integrated invoice
and address label, printed on a single sheet of A4 so that the label,
complete with barcode, could be peeled off and stuck on the package.
Online commerce is all about the back end logistics.

Congrats to Amazon for getting the customer service right. Be
interesting to see how the other bookshops perform.

The point of this?

Well as an exercise in building brand equity, the customer service
aspects of the transaction were far more influential than the last
banner (button) ad I saw for Amazon which said: "Books about +UK +rail
+e...."

If you need any help with your online advertising activities guys
(believe me, you do) you know where to find me.

Ray Taylor
NMC/Adplan - www.nmcadplan.com
Others talk about internet advertising - we just do it
+44 181 639 0015