Subject: Re: UKNM: Three cheers Amazon UK
From: Sam Michel
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:28:55 GMT

At 09:32 30/10/98 +0000, Ray Taylor wrote:
>Congrats to Amazon for getting the customer service right. Be
>interesting to see how the other bookshops perform.

I remember about two years ago when the first buzz about Amazon.com reached me, ordering my first book. I was wowed by the system and the ease of ordering, especially compared to UK booksellers, one of which was using the ISBN number to complete the order.

What really bowled me over is that a month or so after my first order I got send a mousemat, all the way from the US. I've got stacks of mousemats, and it wasn't a particularly fantastic one, but I was very impressed that they'd gone to such lengths. I re-assured myself with the thought that the yanks know a thing or two about customer service, although I did wonder if they'd sent it to me by mistake.

Now they're in Europe, and CDNow and N2K have merged, seems to me that the homegrown UK online book/music sellers are going to have to smarten up their act (and their prices?).

Toodle Pip

Sam
Chinwag - http://www.chinwag.com