Subject: Re: UKNM: Three cheers Amazon UK
From: Nick Sweeney
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 18:08:44 +0000 (GMT)

> It is technically illegal for a UK retailer to sell US editions of
> books that have a UK edition in print, so any retailer operating in
> this country would be obligated to sell UK editions, regardless of any
> cost saving.

Actually illegal (copyright legislation, I'd assume)? Or just against
publishing regulations?

In which case (having just ordered a US edition -- "cheap price, fast
delivery"), Amazon UK are either operating in ignorance, or are doing the
same thing to UK publishers that the publishers did to the Net Book
Agreement. Which I don't think is that bad a thing.

> Whether this practice is of earth-shattering consequence is hard to
> tell, as it would seem that many big publishers are part of a global
> operation (e.g. HarperCollins are part of Murdoch's empire) so in the
> big scheme of things a sale is a sale.

Since the big publishers were happy to break the NBA, I can't see them
complaining, since reduced prices generate higher sales. It's an
interesting policy, if it is deliberate. Because it might be the first
heave towards realigning the prices of books and CDs with American levels.

Nick