Subject: Re: UKNM: Copyright issues
From: Paul Sanders
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 13:00:45 +0100

>The US 'Fair Use' loophole allows a lot of leeway for those who wish to use
>material for the purposes of 'education, comment, criticism, or parody' -
>and as far as I know it, this describes just about every site on the web!

Hardly a loophole! And definitely not 'US'!! It's enshrined in the WIPO
conventions, and is intended to prevent copyright owners using the law to
stifle the cultural life of the country.

The courts are usually able to distinguish between a genuine use and a
blatant attempt to use the provision to avoid paying royalties.

Cheers

Paul

-
Paul Sanders - a member of the state51 conspiracy
http://www.state51.co.uk/
email: paulatstate51 [dot] co [dot] uk tel: 0207 729 4343
state51, Rhoda Street, London, E2 7EF, UK