Subject: Re: UKNM: ad targeting techniques
From: Jon Curnow
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:47:04 +0100

Hi

> Over the last 2 years (approx.) the big US advertising networks have shifted
> from content based targeting to targeting based on sophisticated personal
> profiling techniques. Over the same period average click-thru rates have
> fallen from 3% to 1%. Are the new techniques proving effective

Are there any other figures from the sources you quote? 2 years on
there are more people ignoring more banner ads because they are not
related to anything they are interested in.

However, are there any figures based on the user response at the
destination site? I've often wanted to know if the sophisticated
targeting systems actually result in a greater percentage of those
clicking staying with the destination site, or even (no, hush)
purchasing something on the destination site.

A two-thirds drop in the click rate would be OK if those that DO
respond actually follow through.

jon