Subject: Re: UKNM: Unsolicited Email
From: Jo Chipchase
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 08:22:05 +0100

James Downes wrote:

>A client of mine has a list of email addresses (along with Names and
>Real Addresses etc) that they have gathered from people contacting them
>through their web site.
>
>These were all collected from email response forms, but without an
>opt-in clause.
>
>Does anyone on the list know whether they can be used in any way, e.g.
>to announce the relaunch of the site, to offer product trials etc.What
>is the legal position, and what is the accepted practice for this.

I'm not sure of any legal stipulations... but I think the only acceptable
course of action is to send a polite email to the people inviting them to
join a mailing list. Along the lines of:

"We see that you have made an enquiry via our website at www.blah.com and
would like to invite you to join a mailing list to receive regular updates
about products that may be of interest to you. We guarantee that your
email address will not be passed on to any third parties, and that you can
leave the list at any time. Please respond to this message simply by blah
blah if you wish to join the list. If you do not respond, your name will
not be added to the list and you will not be contacted with further
information."

etc.

Jo.
CAN-U-HACK-IT