Subject: RE: UKNM: Fast-loading sites
From: Irakli West
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:43:18 +0100

I'm not trying to advocate Front Page here, but rather the concept behind
it. The basic differentiation lies within the kind of site you are producing
and whether you are a novice building your personal web site or a net
professional.

Software like Front Page has been substantial in creating all those
'communities' - essentially the private web sites covering every possible
aspect known to humanity. Any average user is now able to go web, which is
great; with a Wysiwig tool there is no need to bother about code - FP will
even adapt all your links if you rename files, directories or even if you
move your files. You can't expect people to learn HTML when there is no need
to. The learning process occurs as users want to perform changes beyond the
scope of their software.

OTOH, a proper professional site should be 'handwritten' - and if you have
mapped it out correctly from the start, there is no need to change links !
And I do concur that a lot of code produced by HTML software packages is
superfluous.

Irakli West
Client Services
Syzygy Ltd.