Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Marketing Sherpa/Your Auto Choice
From: Silas Denyer
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 21:47:07 +0100

>From our experience, prize-draw competitions are not very good at
targetting
a small group of potential users. You either have to target the prize
(which, short of being "tools of the trade" or a "busman's holiday", is
difficult to do), or you have to very precisely target the audience.
Assuming that there is going to be a "viral element" - by way of referrals
or whatever - then there will be a lot of "bleed" into inappropriate
potential user groups: unfortunately much of the population have friends who
aren't just work-related!

The alternative, if you have the infrastructure in place to handle it
quickly & cheaply as we do, is to conduct a proper competition which is
itself tightly zeroed in on the target audience; in other words, a
competition where the answers to the questions are most likely to be known
by your prospects but by few others. These can be easy (i.e. just a form of
entry qualification), or more difficult (in which case you can always
publish a league table of users and their scores and actually declare a
winner without recourse to a draw). The last option, particularly, can be
genuinely viral (as opposed to just user-originated spam), in that it sparks
rivalry and debate.

Of course the foregoing is not universally applicable but, nonetheless, is
another strategy to consider.

Silas Denyer
Director, Turns Ltd.
w. www.turns.net