Subject: RE: UKNM: Meta Tags?
From: Ian Collingwood
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 20:37:24 +0100

Jason -

This appeared on my desk some months ago (courtesy of one of my researcher
colleagues). Seems that you can't include trademarks in metatags or you'll
get busted.

Sadly the link to the original story seems to be out of date now - try
searching The Register's Archive.

<snip>
"There is now a precedent in UK law against infringing trademarks in meta
keyword tags.
UK court slaps reseller for metatag squatting
http://www.theregister.co.uk/000602-000023.html
A Tyneside reseller has become the first company to be roasted by a UK court
over trademark infringement in HTML 'meta' tags.

So in short, if you're adding meta keywords whilst building or a client
asks, trademarks that are not owned by the client should be avoided.
Conversely a client may have recourse if you spot a competitor using their
trademarks for the purpose of diverting traffic (the chances of anyone
stealing major traffic using this method is slim).

There will be grey areas where keywords are considered fair use, for example
in the States last year former Playboy Playmate of the Year Terri Welles was
sued by Playboy for use of the Playboy and Playmate trademarks in meta
keyword tags on her personal site. The judge ruled that having had the title
bestowed upon her by the company and having mentioned the terms on the site
itself, Ms Welles had the right to use the trademarks in her meta tags.
<snip>

Cheers

Ian

Ian Collingwood
Consulting & Strategy Group
circle.com - 4th Floor 12 Alfred Place,
London WC1E 7EB
t: 020 7 959 7545 m: 07973 266 163
f: 020 7 959 7501
e: ian [dot] collingwoodatuk [dot] circle [dot] com
icq: 39850942

Jason asked: