Subject: UKNM: RE: dot-TVs
From: John Braithwaite
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 12:27:33 +0100

Richard wrote:
There are (24x24x24) 13824 different www.godado.xxx out there that could be
created.

JB Writes:
Er - I don't think that there are this many... I mean, not every .xxx is
available (the amount that actually are around is in it's early hundreds).
as for the .xxx.yyy there are a few more of these. I think that there has to
be an element of sanity involved. We have bought the .coms and .co.uks for
our domain names and have stopped there.

.tv is not a 'con' but it is a 'sharp trick'. I just wished that someone
would have advised Tuvalu better before they sold out. The reason I think it
is a 'sharp trick' is that it is seducing people with the 'keeping up with
the Joneses' mentality that has so far fuelled the ridiculous pricing and
bulk-buying of domain names. There was no real need for it - but people had
to take part in the land-grab, 'you've got to be in it to win it'.

Anyway, there are future .tv owners born every minute and if they want to be
suckers then it is up to them. Having a .tv isn't really going to be the
difference between success and failure, in fact I would look more closely at
getting an actual digital channel number as a better way of kicking off the
iTV revolution.

On another note, regarding the placing of brand names into metatags, I might
start getting in touch with a few other websites.... ;-)

JB