Subject: UKNM: Recent spam frittering
From: Terry Kendrick
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:09:30 +0100

Bit surprised by people getting niggled at thinly veiled adverts. This on
the list happy to discuss email marketing, viral marketing and any legit
way of selling and marketing. Wouldn't we expect thinly veiled adverts on
this excellent list? Can't we learn from the clever and not-so-clever
ways the adverts are disguised? I have.

Terry
A consultant.

And for John who replied to John like this...

>On your final point - are you a consultant? I just wondered because what
>they usually do is take your comments, rephrase them and then repeat them
>back to you.... I hope that this particular gem was free!

Here's another thing consultants do.... I recently acquired a client who
was sold a website design project twelve months ago on the basis of some
global growth stats but over the year had generated no business.
Consultants ask difficult questions like "You may want to sell via the net
but what makes you think your customers want to buy over the net?" and
others. Hopefull web agencies ask these type of questions not just "What
are YOU trying to do with this website.." type questions.

Here's a joke in these difficult times. Originally saw this on the
Iconoclash list (worth a look - eek... is that an advert or a
recommendation!??!). This is a real good consultant joke:

>A shepherd was herding his flocks in a remote pasture when
>suddenly a brand new Jeep Cherokee advanced towards him out
>of a dust cloud. The driver, a young man in a Brioni suit,
>Gucci shoes, Ray Ban sunglasses and a YSL tie, leans out of
>the window and asks: "If I can tell you exactly how many
>sheep you have in your flock, will you give me one?"
>
>The shepherd looks at the yuppie, then at his peacefully
>grazing flock and answers, "Sure!"
>
>The yuppie parks the car, whips out his notebook, connects
>it to a cellphone, surfs to a NASA page where he calls up a
>GPS navigation system, scans the area and opens a database
>and some 60 spreadsheets with complex formulas. Finally, he
>prints a 150-page report on a miniature printer, turns to
>our shepherd and says: "You have exactly 1586 sheep!"
>
>"That's correct. As agreed, you can take one of the sheep,"
>says the shepherd. He watches the young man make a selection
>and bundle it into his Cherokee. As the car starts to pull
>away, he calls out: "If I can tell you exactly what your
>business is, will you give me my sheep back?"
>
>"Okay, why not?" answers the young man, stopping the car.
>
>"You are a consultant" says the shepherd.
>
>"That's correct," says the yuppie. "How did you guess?"
>
>"Easy," answers the shepherd. "You turn up here without
>being asked. You want to be paid for information I already
>have. And you don't know anything about my business because
>you took my dog."

Find out more about Terry from his website
http://www.terrykendrick.co.uk
(updated September 2000)