Subject: UKNM: Spanish users - weird source
From: Lois Grayson
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 16:04:48 GMT

Bizarre as this may sound - and I haven't been following this thread so I'm
not sure if this is relevant - I heard the following stats quoted on 'People
and Politics' on the BBC World Service at 4 am GMT Sunday morning:

Number of Spanish/Portuguese first language speakers estimated to be online
across the globe = 27 million
20m of these are classed as 'Latin American' - Chile, Mexico etc
Spanish is rated as the Net's 3rd or 4th language (behind
English/American/Chinese(?))

(Interviewee had an interesting opinion that the net isn't a global medium
because its use is linguistically defined and therefore restricted by
audience)

I don't know who the guy was or his sources and I fell asleep v shortly
afterwards; but woke today with the info in my head and a vague idea that
someone on UKNM wanted it - not sure about the programme title but the rest
is accurate -you could try checking the radio listings and then following up
with the Beeb's info line (the service is q helpful) for corroboration.
Sorry, blathering, tired.

Lois