Subject: UKNM: Fast Summit
From: Nick Suckley
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 18:30:28 +0100

In my opinion P&G is driving Fast for one reason and one reason
only...the benefit of P&G - so in that respect I would say it's
*exactly* the same as what they did with telly in the 50s. Something
along the lines of "Well, we've got this new thing, we don't exactly
know what to do with it but we're sure as hell going to drive it the way
we want!"

I don't want to state the obvious but the potential of any medium is
defined by its audience - the fact that the online audience is
measurably big enough (and made up of the right type of consumers) to
attract the interest of P&G is great news as it lends credibility and
value to online media.

I think their approach is less flawed as much as biased toward what's
important to large FMCG advertisers. Remember, P&G's success was built
on "traditional" mass advertising so it's inevitable that's the starting
point. With audiences fragmenting though, I wonder whether old dogs can
learn new tricks!

Nick

Suckley Media
Independent media planning for the net