Subject: RE: UKNM: Fast Summit
From: Steve Andrews (home)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 11:58:48 +0100

The net needs true credibility, followed by inevitable penetration, with the
average consumer. This it doesn't have!

I guess we can look at Channel 4 and the Sky channels for clues (wet finger
in air) as to when an audience figure and the associated demographic is
acceptable enough for the advertisers to "pile in" wholesale. In the UK and
Europe at the moment, there just isn't sufficient internet usage penetration
of the traditional FMCG audience.

Be it as it may, we on this circulation are all speaking from middle-class,
relatively affluent, "nice house in Chertsey" positions. Allied to which we
all have pretty in-depth knowledge and experience of the medium. My dustman
doesn't; my milkman doesn't - and doesn't want to understand until the
mechanism for delivery of the medium is as simple as teletext: free,
one-click, preferably seamless with something safe like TV, instant and
interactive. When we have that, then the masses jump in and then the FMCG
boys will really motor.

Presumably P&G, and their advisers, know this, which puts them in the same
boat as everyone else who isn't in the pure "business to business" arena:
finding that killer app! So they dress it up with the same tired rhetoric,
smoke and mirrors just to look busy. My bet is that they are just treading
water, waiting for something more tangible, something that fits into their
traditional model.

Steve Andrews
Steveatwnbc [dot] co [dot] uk