Subject: Re: UKNM: Fast Summit
From: Jon Beverley
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 14:08:30 +0100

Steve Andrews (home) wrote:

> Be it as it may, we on this circulation are all speaking from middle-class,
> relatively affluent, "nice house in Chertsey" positions. Allied to which we
> all have pretty in-depth knowledge and experience of the medium. My dustman
> doesn't; my milkman doesn't - and doesn't want to understand until the
> mechanism for delivery of the medium is as simple as teletext: free,
> one-click, preferably seamless with something safe like TV, instant and
> interactive. When we have that, then the masses jump in and then the FMCG
> boys will really motor.

A fine point, and one which to my mind simply doesn't get aired often
enough. I find it interesting that the real business of Internet
advertising is only just getting underway, perhaps five years in from
any sort of popular 'take-off' point. Is there any chance we'll learn
the lesson, and be on the ball a litle faster when talking about
interactive TV advertising?

My point, oft made, concerning iTV is that it needs to address itself
primarily to the 'suburban Coventry/Turin/Stuttgart/Illinois' market -
bread and butter for advertisers like P&G. I just hope it won't be 2004
before the first advertiser-sponsored 'interactive TV advertising'
summit.

Jon Beverley