Subject: Re: UKNM: RE: DIXONS - FREE SHARE
From: Sam Michel
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:10:45 +0100

Brave move, but it appears to be very well backed. I guess the premium rate
technical support line is a good idea. If one were cynical you could even
say that it's worth their while to have a few start-up problems to bring in
some early revenues...but I'm not cynical so I wouldn't say that.

A few people have tried free ISPs and I'm sure they're doing just fine,
haven't heard much from any of them for a while though. It strikes me that
to succeed you need three things for a free ISP service:

a. grow the size of the market
b. reach critical mass quickly
c. have deep pockets should a. and b. not go to plan

OK, so I lied..four things.

d. substantial growth in online advertising budgets

If it goes well, I wouldn't like to be launch a per-minute ISP
service...BT? C&W? or in fact any ISP service. I wonder if they're customer
service will have banks of spotty 17 year olds not knowing anything about
ISP problems, but able to tell you rough details on a new fridge-freezer?

I need a coffee.