Subject: Re: UKNM: Legal Responsibility of Content
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:12:21 +0100

>You could well be right. I'm no legal-eagle, perhaps someone could
>enlighten us on what would happen if a guest on a TV/radio talk show
>slandered or libeled a 3rd party. Would the broadcaster be liable, or the
>guest, or both?

The guest, the host, the broadcaster, the producer, the cameraman, and any
newspaper that reported the offending words _could_ all be sued.

>I'm not sure a mailing list could constitute a publication as such, in fact
>legal-wise I personally think it would be wrong to consider it a
>publication.

Think what you like. New media has no special privileges in the eyes of the
law. As I said previously, it may be that courts would view email as being
different and more transient than print publications, but on the face of it
email still gives you the opportunity to spread false, malicious, and
defamatory material.

Ray Taylor
NMC/Adplan