Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: excuse me, someone has stolen our domain ...
From: Steve Johnston
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 15:42:09 +0100

On 23/09/98, at 18:15, Sam Michel wrote:
>Anyone know what the guys who had registered
><http://www.altavista.com/> got from Digital when they
>bought the domain name off them? You'd have though a company like DEC would
>have had the foresight not to use a brand name for an Internet product that
>had
>already been registered by someone else.

$3.35 million and it was, of course, Compaq that coughed up.

On the second point. You forget how long ago Digital set up Altavista. It was a little R&D project, and no-one at that point foresaw the importance of branded portal search engines. Altavista software probably incorporated after Digital set up their search engine anyway.

Steve Johnston
Director of Development
IMRG (Interactive Media in Retail Group)

http://www.imrg.org/
5 Dryden Street, Covent Garden,
London WC2E 9NW, UK
Tel: +44 (0)7000 46 46 74
Fax: +44 (0)7000 39 46 74
Personal No: +44 (0)7050 6050 33
E-mail: steveatimrg [dot] org
The IMRG is the best source of commercial
advantage for retail in the 4th channel