Subject: UKNM: Re: excuse me, someone has stolen our domain ...
From: Steve Miller
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 10:07:56 +0100

> Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 16:28:35 +0100
> From: Phil Gyford <philatgyford [dot] com>
> Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: excuse me, someone has stolen our domain ...
>
> At 12:54 24/09/98 +0100, you wrote:
> >Far be it for me to spread gossip and rumour...
> >
> >Oh all right then - I heard a figure of $3m banded about a few weeks ago
> >
> >Anyone top that?
>
> It's not exactly secretive gossip. The figure of $3.3m was reported in the
> press at the time, to quote news.com: "But the $3.3 million
> figure has been
> widely reported by media outlets as well as sources that asked not to be
> named."
>
> ATI registered altavista.com in 1994, Digital started their search engine
> in 1995.

C'mon chaps, I hope that you don't believe everything you read in the press?
These stories are embellished through a mixture of chinese whispers plus a
sprinkling of journalstic licence to make everyone believe that
multi-million dollar deals are going on between parties to secure Domain
Names. It makes great reading I admit, but it is a little short of the
truth.

That's not to say that money doesn't pass hands. Indeed, NetNames has
brokered a number of deals for companies who are willing to pay to recover a
Domain Name - but the reality is that the figures involved are a fraction of
what is written about by the media. And before anyone asks, we've signed
NDA's on all the Name Recovery projects we've worked on, so we can't provide
any interesting examples.

More importantly, who won the NMA table footie last night? We walked out in
disgust having been put out the quarter finals by goal difference - bad
losers that we were.

Its Miller Time!
Steve Miller: Marketing Director
NETNAMES * The INTERNATIONAL DOMAIN NAME REGISTRY
Registering Domain Names in over 200 countries

http://www.netnames.co.uk
180-182 Tottenham Court Road
London, W1P 9LE
+44 171 291 3905 (Direct) Mobile: 0467 456787