Subject: Re: UKNM: RE: DIXONS - FREE SHARE
From: Leigh Blue Caldwell
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 16:46:43 +0100

> uh - it only launched on Thursday morning. Unless every single person who
> went through the door at any of the Dixons chain's delightful stores went
> home and immediately went online, that's a wee tad of a misreading of Need
> To Know, I'd suggest.
>
> from NTK:
>
> "With rumours saying that by Thursday, they were up to 12,000 accounts with
> 10 joining every *second*, Energis/Planet's apparent over-spec for 250,000
> users by Christmas better stand up to the strain."

I didn't read NTK last week, but my trusty Mental Arithmetic Device
(not trademarked, patent not pending) indicates the following:
10 per second * 86,400 seconds per day = 864,000 users per day
By 9 am Friday, this would be already 3.5 times the "by Christmas"
figure. By now, there would be 3.75 million users and the UK Internet
population would either be about doubled, or every one of them in
possession of a spare account.

Is it at all possible that this NTK item, unlike all the others, was
intended in a vaguely humorous, ironic, exaggerated or tongue-in-cheek
manner? No, silly idea.

Leigh.

information | Leigh Caldwell, managing director, Internation.
innovation | St. George's House, 44 Hatton Garden, London, U.K.
integration | +44-171-242-3200 (fax 3033)
Internation. | blueatinternation [dot] co [dot] uk www.internation.co.uk