Subject: Re: UKNM: Search Engines
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 16:41:18 +0100

We use submit-it for basic submissions and monitoring. But do the top seven
by hand, sometimes several times over. That's because 99% of your traffic is
likely to come from these, 1% the rest, and most of the major search engines
miss out a high proportion of index requests. Expect to wait sometimes
months for yahoo and then you need to repeat your request every two to four
weeks to get anywhere.

Don't get hung up on meta tags. They are important (some engines only) but
they don't solve the problem. You need to get the <title> right, and
structure the text within the page properly.

Most imporantly you need to take care not to hide the text from the search
engines by burying underneath a whole lot of frames and java code.

But mostly it's all down to leg work.

Ray Taylor
NMC/Adplan
0181 639 0015