Subject: Re: UKNM: viral marketing (Jungle Detour)
From: Tim Ireland
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 18:27:27 +0100

First there was an 'is there a problem' email that appeared to ask why the
user registered, but did not then apply for their prize (suggesting ever so
gently that this might be a case of misguided personal choice rather than
the sites inability to function)

Now this a new email dealing with the delay in delivery.

<quote>
In just the first three weeks, we have received over 30 million
page impression on our website and like yourself a huge amount of
people have now registered for the free gift promotion.
If you experienced (or are experiencing) a delay in getting your
free gift, as the founder of jungle.com I would like to apologise
for this inconvenience.
Obviously this overwhelming response has put huge strain on both
people and systems and to cope with the jungle rush we have:
* Already doubled the number of computer servers that hold our
website
* Increased our technical support and pre sales team by six
fold!
* Increased our customer care department immensely
* In the warehouses that ship all our products, we have had to
drastically re-organise the process and add a huge amount of
extra resources.
* We are also currently changing our order tracking screens to
provide you with more information for you to track the progress
of orders. To access this area of the site visit the jungle home
page and click on order tracking.
</quote>

Flash crowds in the extreme.....

Tim Ireland