Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Institute of Direct Marketing
From: Steven_Buckley
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 19:07:17 +0100

Unfortunately, I think its now a fact of life that the courses you take in
order
to gain recognition and promotion within your field have limited application
in
your actual work. MBA's, Marketing Diploma's, the lot, all seem to use set
texts that are somewhat out of date with modern thinking. The only way to
progress is to swallow all of the latest books, forums and broadsheet
thinking
that you can get your hands on - swelling Amazon's coffers in the process.

Unfortunately Sarah the CIM does get worse as you progress through their
qualifications. They've been pestering me for a couple of years to follow
through on my Diploma with the Chartered Marketeer programme. However, that
programme does not demand any original thought or hard work - all you need
to do
is attend a few dinners and second-rate local seminars and 2 years later
you're
a chartered marketeer - and so is of little or no value to anyone.

The moral of this story....? Get the Dip.M, remember the basic tools it
teaches
you then go out and learn some truly amazing stuff.

Time to look a little harder at the IDM maybe...

Steven Buckley (Dip.M MCIM)

"sarah simonds" <slpsimondsathotmail [dot] com>@chinwag.com on 09/25/2000 01:28:20
PM

Please respond to uk-netmarketingatchinwag [dot] com
Sent by: owneratchinwag [dot] com
To: uk-netmarketingatmail [dot] chinwag [dot] com
Subject: UKNM: Re: Institute of Direct Marketing UKNM Digest V1 #660

Ruth
this is a relief to hear, since I'm dismayed that the Chartered Institute of
Marketing are in denial. Net marketing doen't seem to be addressed at all
in the syllabus for even their most advanced course. The PostGrad Diploma
set text, for Integrated Marketing Communications, has not a mention of the
internet, let alone e-mail for marketing. How long will it take them to
catch up, d'you reckon? As a web-marketing bod and CIM student, I feel like
a pariah.

Sarah Simonds
GAIN Development Officer
s [dot] simondsatcs [dot] ucl [dot] ac [dot] uk

[Sam says: msg chopped]

The biggest, best Chinwag Networking party...ever...
**27th September 2000** put it in your diaries now
RSVP to http://www.chinwag.com/uk-netmarketing/party.shtml
To sponsor the event email spareanychangeatchinwag [dot] com

generously supported by...
*** DoubleClick *** http://www.doubleclick.net
The leading provider of comprehensive global Internet
advertising solutions for marketers and Web publishers.