Subject: RE: UKNM: RE: Taking your baby to the boss
From: Ben Hunt
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 23:58:46 +0100

A couple of things to look out for here, (speaking strictly from a lay
point-of-view, and may be shooting very wide, but here goes):

Check your contract of employment for a clause relating to 'inventions' or
suchlike. It may state that the intellectual property of any such inventions
etc. remain the property of the company if you were to leave.

If so, you need to consider when the development on your site was actually
carried out. If you are employed on a salaried basis, it's my understanding
that it is most likely that anything produced during your employed hours are
the property of your employer. If you were paid on an hourly basis, then the
ownership is much more open for debate, according to the terms of your
contract.

In the case that you did all the development at work, you may be rogered on
that score, but remember that it may be in your employer's interests not to
shaft you over, particularly if there's still valuable information locked in
your head. It could be bad PR for them to half-inch your brainchild, unless
of course they see that they aren't doing that cos it's totally their legal
property.

: )b

Ben Hunt
Producer