Subject: Re: FLASH: preferred sound compression in Flash 5?
From: PSWoods
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 00:20:55 GMT

phillip:

here here!

it always chaps my ass when i hear flashers talking about sound (and getting
it all wrong); you don't know how refreshing it is to read your comments! i
don't think i've run into anyone else in flash circles who understands that
the human voice is a very complex waveform. good for you!

BTW - i was at my local B&N today and i saw that they had 5 copies of your
book on the shelf. are you starting to run to the mailbox yet?

other flash sound myth/fact pairs:

myth - you should resample sounds in an editor before bringing them into
flash
fact - flash will do this for you. the more information flash has to start
with, the better the output will be. the only reason you would want to
downsample a wav in an editor is as a workaround for the windows sound card
bug.

myth - you should covert stereo sounds to mono in an editor
fact - same as above

myth - there are formulas for different kinds of sound
fact - there is one formula for all sounds: use your ear to determine the
lowest sampling rate/best compression that is acceptable for each individual
sound. you need to spend a little time in the symbol properties dialog for
each sound.

myth - bringing mp3 into flash is a good thing
fact - umm, no. importing mp3 is good for (1999) buzzword compliance and
stealing intellectual property. if you have permission to use a wave form,
you will have an uncompressed, high-resolution copy of it.

another thing about flash audio - test on a range of audio output hardware,
from the stuff in your studio down to a crappy old sound card and the
speakers that came free with your grandma's first PC. in any million-dollar
recording studio you will see a POS boom box for this purpose.