Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash4 Magic questions
From: unique
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 16:46:32 GMT

At the exact moment of 2000.01.22.22.21, her/his local time, Cheri Harder
<chericaathome [dot] com> put forth:

> Hi all....Ken and anybody else going through Flash 4 Magic -
>
> Can someone explain to me why some variables (numerics) are set as
> "expressions" and some as "string literals" - for example, the Loopcount
> variable set in the Laughinator tutorial is set thusly:
>
> Set Variable: "LoopCount" = 0
>
> Whereas, the starting time in the Stopwatch utility is set as a string
>
> Set Variable: "Minutes" = "00"
>
> I would guess that in this particular case, the Minutes variable would
> display as only one 0 if you didn't specifically call it out as a string
> with two 0's, but that, otherwise, both would evaluate mathematically the
> same, yes?

You have it. The quotes say "exactly these letters/digits/etc." ... without
quotes, letters and/or digits represent their *value* ... the value of the
digits is pretty easy to figure out; the value of a letter or letters is the
value that has been *assigned* to it, or *zero* if no value has yet been
assigned.

> ... I've found a "bug" ...

And thanks for the erratum report!

Ken Sherwood