Subject: OT: Comedy of Errors [was: RE: FLASH: CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT?? [etc.]]
From: unique
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:05:25 GMT

At the exact moment of 2000.01.24.05.36, her/his local time, Flash Gordon
<classaction_sharathotmail [dot] com> put forth:

> Ken & Daniel -
>
> Hear hear! Now let me help to put this into perspective.
>
> I have two clients who viewed the unveiling of many months of work by our 10
> person firm this last week, whom, needless to say, were oh, a tad
> disillusioned, even annoyed that their newfandanlged fabulous cutting edge
> flash projects scheduled to go public in February and costing over
> $50,000.00 collectively, were not working in the most critical areas, namely
> asp and databasing. And why? Because they both "just happen" to be using
> "the latest technology" in Flash players recently provided them by our
> friends at Macromedia.
>
> [and so on]

I've reread Flash Gordon's post of Monday, and it ties in with other things I've
been thinking about and even discussing on another list.

First of all, it seems clear to me that anyone in this business should have a
"plugin failure" clause in any contract they sign. This would apply to Flash,
QuickTime, RealPlayer, ad infinitum. Better to be up front than to be caught
from behind. Enough said on that.

Secondly, Macromedia clearly chooses to "push the envelope" too far at times,
such as currently. It's a jungle out there, for them, I know; yet, as a
developer, I want trustworthy support. Trustworthy.

MetaStream/MetaCreations is an example of another product/company ...

(See: http://www.metastream.com and http://www.metacreations.com .)

... that has recently made some obtuse decisions (canning Painter, KPT, etc.,
about 150 employees associated with those products, right before Christmas!) --
in an apparent effort, in their case, to select/create a niche, and head for it.
Can't say I blame "them" (whoever "they" are) for the latter, but they
absolutely sucked in the way they treated about 150 people and their families.
They hosed those people where it hurts, in their pocketbooks. Similar deal here
with MM. My pocketbook has to count for something. At least *respect*.

Which all boils down to this, for me:

Boondoggles must be handled appropriately.

And, "appropriately" must be defined with regard to, and respect for, the
benign, symbiotic (from the Greek: syn=same, bios=life) relationship which
exists (by definition) between a software company and its immediate customers,
the developers who use the software. *Both* "sides" are "in this for the money".
*Cooperation* probably would work best.

Hopefully MM will study all of what has been happening here and will learn all
that there is to be learned from it.

Thanks, especially for putting up with my quote marks and asterisks,

Ken Sherwood

*zenkat: the Flash trailer*
http://www.kensherwood.com/zenkat.htm

kensherwood.com