Subject: Re: FLASH: BitMagic's Job Proposition to Flasher
From: Dorian Nisinson
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:16:11 +0100

Hi Marc,
I received the same response to my query to this company and sent them
a remarkably similar reply. In addition to the other points you made,
the email they sent seemed to be saying that they were buying "all
rights" to any animation they did finally pay for. They also seemed to
be under the impression that $500 to $900 for buying exclusive rights,
except for limited portfolio use, to a 30 second animation that the
artist wrote as well as brought to life in Flash was going to set all
us drooling at their generosity. Yipes. Never sell exclusive rights
unless the pay is substantially higher than your normal fee.

Dorian

"Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media" wrote:

> Hi Flashers.
>
> I wondered if this might be off-topic, but hope you will find it relevant
> to the list, since it involves our livelihood as artists. A day or two ago,
> there was a post here offering work with BitMagic, a web outfit in
> Amsterdam. I replied to their post and received a long, form-email in
> response (email me off-list, <mailatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:mailatdartfrogmedia [dot] com)> if you want a
> copy). In essence they are looking for Flash artists to go all-out
> producing short animations and they will pay only if they feel like using
> the final product. This would be after several rounds of revisions at their
> direction.
>
> Following is my response to them; I hope it is helpful to you in thinking
> about this and similar "offers" of work.
>
> -Marc

snip
--
Dorian Nisinson Design
dorianatbway [dot] net (mailto:dorianatbway [dot] net)

FLASHCENTRAL.COM -- The Source for Flash Information
http://www.FlashCentral.com/

Flash Tell Target Tutorial
http://www.bway.net/~dorian/TTtutor.htm

The Flash Fortune Teller
Ask and you shall be answered!
http://www.bway.net/~dorian/FortuneT.htm

http://www.bway.net/~dorian
Flash Design, Graphic Design, Illustration,