Subject: Re: FLASH: too many MCs?
From: Dave Hollinden
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 17:57:47 +0100

Just a guess...

You mentioned an MC going behind the window of the sub, and I'm wondering
if you're use any masking for the window. I've found that putting any
animation behind a mask causes big jumps in memory, and maybe there's a
performance hit also.

Dave

At 05:11 PM 6/28/99 -0700, you wrote:
>At 03:32 PM 6/28/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>Can it be possible to have too many small MCs that are functioning at
>>the same time. ...As soon as the short clip is
>>finished everything starts working again.
>
>Hi Karin,
>
>This is certainly a good indication that you're overtaxing the computer.
>Make sure you're not including more detail than necessary in the tweens,
>and if those little blinking lights use alpha tweens, see if you can just
>use solid colors that blink on and off, or perhaps that have just three
>colors instead of a range of colors. Of course I'm guessing at the effect,
>but I think you get the idea -- the more pixels that have to be redrawn in
>a frame, and the more alpha or color effect computations that you require,
>the more likely things will slow down.
>
>one trick in limiting tweening activity is to tell target some of the stage
>tweens to stop while the focal object is tweening. Keep in mind the level
>of detail that is actually useful to the viewer, and also keep in mind
>where their attention is, so you don't have tweens and details that are
wasted.

>If this doesn't help, do try to post the movie on a web site.
>

>Marc Hoffman
>
>marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com)
>Flash3 Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>, featured
>in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn.

Dave Hollinden
Audio Engineer
Jet City Studios, Seattle
dhollindenatjetcitystudios [dot] com (mailto:dhollindenatjetcitystudios [dot] com)