Subject: Re: FLASH: loading a movie automaticly
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 19:50:11 +0100

At 05:11 PM 6/29/99 +0100, you wrote:
>Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I'm talking about flash3.
>Let me explain there a two parts to my page a menu and a content.
>Initially I'd like to have an introduction movie loaded together with the
>menu. When the menu selection has been made I like the introduction to be
>unloaded and the menu selection to be loaded.

I'll tell you how to do this, but there's really no advantage to using load
movie when the content is in a fixed order as you describe. Then you may as
well copy the frames of your menu selection into the end of the
introduction and let the whole thing stream. That way all library symbols
can be shared and loading isn't interrupted.

Okay, for Load Movie, here's how. Make sure the second movie (I'll call it
menu.swf) is in the same directory as the first. In the last frame of the
first movie, put the frame action:

Load Movie
Level: 0
End Load

What will happen is the intro will disappear and the menu will replace it.
The menu will take time to load, so there will be a delay depending how
fast menu loads. Also the browser will need to re-establish contact with
the server to get the movie. To the user it will look as if things have
stalled.

Another way to do this is:

Load Movie
Level: 1
End Load
Go to and Stop
Frame (label: park)

With this scheme you would not need to replace the Level0 movie, you would
just have it go to a frame where there is no visible content and there is a
stop action, and that frame would be labeled Park.

Taking this a step further, you could put a few empty frames in the
menu.swf at its beginning, and put a stop action in the last of these blank
frames. This way you could load it as soon as the intro is done loading,
but without waiting for the intro to finish. The benefit is that menu.swf
could be partly or entirely loaded when it's needed. So in a frame
somewhere in the intro, you have the action:

Load Movie
Level: 1
End Load Movie

and then at the end of the intro movie you have the actions:

Go to and Stop (Frame: label: park) [note: this makes the intro disappear]
TellTarget
target: _level1
Play
End Tell Target [note: this makes the menu play]

where "_level1" is the way you refer to the movie loaded in level #1.

If you are following this, you will see that we're just loading the menu as
soon as the intro is done loading, but we have to guess when that has
happened unless we set up a more complex looping movie clip that keeps
checking for the intro to be done loading and then tells the menu.swf to load.

This is why I suggest putting it all in one movie. Flash will load both
parts in order and will keep loading until everything is in cache. The
only tricky thing is cutting and pasting a block of frames. Highlight all
the frames in menu.fla and Copy Frames (Ctrl-Alt-C on PC). Go to the target
timeline (in this case your intro.fla) and create blank frames where the
copied frames will go. Highlight all those frames and press Ctrl-Alt-V (or
Paste Frames). If you simply select one frame in the target timeline, the
copied frames may mess up your layers and your order of frames.

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com)
Flash3 Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>, featured
in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn.