Subject: Flash site problems
From: Jonathan Baldwin
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 18:55:43 +0100

Thank you all those who took the time and trouble to look at my site

www.hrpc.co.uk

and for your comments. I have tried to respond personally to everyone,
but if I have missed you out, please don't be insulted - there were quite
a few responses.
Sadly, I am hitting my head against a brick wall and have been forced to
develop a gif-based version of the site. Never mind. The fight goes on.

The fun starts when the IT bods start to justify their use of Acrobat and
3Mb graphics file downloads - it'll make my use of Flash look minimal!

To summarize responses:

It seems the pages work fine in Explorer and Navigator. (Although
Explorer 4 on the Mac seems to loop back to the 'you need shockwave'
page, which is annoying - can anyone confirm this?)

One of the reasons for the problem was that some of the machines used at
work run Win 95, but have a 16 bit version of Navigator installed. The
'get Shockwave' script took these machines to download the 32 bit version
of the plug-in.
Oddly enough, two people who claimed they couldn't load the page at work
then went home and tried there - it worked first time and they loved the
site! I suspect the company's PCs have been installed by idiots!

While I feel this is the fault of the IT department (I find it bizarre to
run 16 bit Navigator under 32 bit Win 95!) it does raise an interesting
point for Macromedia (if anyone's listening...) The download page
correctly determines the platform and OS, but not the browser being used.
Or am I wrong? (I accept I may be).

Now - there seems to be a problem now with Explorer.
Anyone who can help with this will be in my prayers!

If you go to the site (www.hrpc.co.uk) and go to the 'accounts' section
or 'sales', you should see a help button.
When this is clicked it should call a javascript function 'helpwin()'
which is stored in the <HEAD> tag of the page. In Navigator this works
fine. But Explorer (I'm told) comes up with an error message.
IT tell me this is a Shockwave problem. I think it might be Explorer.
Anyone know what's going on?

Again, responses by email would be appreciated:
jonathan [dot] baldwinatukonline [dot] co [dot] uk

Thanks again for all your help - this list is a great resource!

Jonathan

Jonathan Baldwin, Design, Illustration, Web