Subject: Re: sound streaming
From: Audiohost
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 15:18:16 +0100

Jim:

I didn't catch your earlier posting, but this one sounds like a slight
confusion about streaming and looping. (Let me know if I'm talking old snow
here, since I haven't tried these yet in Flash 3...)

Anyway - in "Streaming" mode the sound stops whenever the movie stops or
when you insert an empty keyframe in the same layer as the sound. Logically,
a streaming sound *never* plays across a border between scenes. It doesn't
make a lot of sense to loop a streaming sound, because you don't save any
streaming load by doing this, so you might as well play some real music...

On the other hand: Sounds that are implemented as "Event" play independently
of the animation, and they can save a lot of load by being looped. There are
two ways to stop them: 1. With a frame action "Stop all sounds"; 2. with the
sound properties dialog. To go the second way, you'd have to insert the same
sound into any layer at the point where you want to stop it. In the sound
properties dialog you choose "Stop".

(Please, let me know if there are any important improvements to this in
Flash 3!)

Greetings,
--
Tom