Subject: RE: FLASH: OT multiple versions of IE installed?
From: Kevin Jackson
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 19:44:35 +0100

Laura and others
IMHO opinion System Commander is a no brainer for this business. You can
check your own files. You don't need anyone else. Except for the Mac and we
don't want to go there again.

This is their URL http://www.v-com.com/. The product I just upgraded to is
System Commander Deluxe. I had System Commander and am using that now. No
problems with it at all. I am running Win 95, Win 98, NT4 Workstation and NT
Server. (I was a trainer and was studying for an MCSE cert) You can multiple
flavors of DOS, Windows, Linux, Unix and OS/2 on your system. Because of
this you can also have more than one of one type with browsers that are not
compatible as well. I have IE3, 4 and 5 and Netscape 4 and 4.5 on mine.

Now I'll try to address your post.

do you use this product?
YES

i found two products with the same name when i did
a search of "system commander." one is offered by linguists software and
the other by provantage.
They are both about the same product. The provantage is the old version of
the product

the latter appears to be out of my technical
realm. which were you referring to?
Depending on what you want to do either of them might work. New version
also allows you to partition on the fly (something Microsoft warned against
with Partition Magic-Not sure what they think about System Commander's
version-They did like System Commander's way of boot control per the tech I
checked with
)
also, in searching i found a lot of reference to the software "partition
magic." this software, along with the idea of creating a dual boot system
was also mentioned on the other list. my question here is " is this
software, along with "partition magic" usable by someone with my level of
experience (ie: none)?
See above. System Commander Deluxe has it all in one package if you need to
do that. As for level of experience, everything is relative. I wouldn't say
it's beginner level stuff but it has some great dividends. Their help desk
was quite good when I did it the first time. If you could charge a geek to
set it up for you if you're not comfortable, I'd recommend the product.

Has anyone here, with little to no experience with this sort
of thing, used either of these products and found them to indeed be "idiot
proof"?
Nothing is idiot proof

is one piece of software all that is required to achieve this?
Yes if System Commander Deluxe

if i took this route, i would like to either set-up a boot off of a zip
disk or divide my D drive which still has 310MB of unused space.
If you are going to do this I'd recommend a bigger hard drive or more
space. 310 is a bit slim. One of the things that this allows you to do is
totally separate the OS partitions which allows for clean testing but you
won't have much free space after the OS with 310.

Drive Carefully etc.....

A note of caution:
I hate things like this. "Don't warn me at all if you're not going to warn
me about something specific." Companies IMO should never do this.