Subject: FLASH: was: livemotion is now: OT
From: John McKenzie
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 13:03:48 +0100

Michael Dunn wrote:

> None of their products are consistent

They're not even internally consistent*.

----

I love 'em, but geez, you really have to be a bit of a masochist to pick
them up, *any* of them. Friends from the place where I used to work are
trying Flash... oh, it's not pretty. They wouldn't convert to FreeHand
either. They are very representative of the masses of designers... and
they're talented designers, smart folks, Adobe weaned... sure, it's their
loss, but it's ours too.

Out of curiosity, I took a screen shot of the Flash color/gradient palette
and measured it. It's about 270 x 480, if I recall. In other words, nearly
half the size of a 640 x 480 screen. Just ain't no reason for that.

Now you may say, people doing Flash would tend to have at least 1024x768,
sure, but I don't want my interface to grow with my monitor! It's somewhat
ironic that Macromedia is essentially in the business of making UI tools.

While I wish Livemotion had actionscript, I'm going to try it out just
because the After Effects timeline is simpler *and* more powerful. So, I'm
not just complaining that it's "too hard." A simple UI can do just as much
as a widgety one. In fact, sometimes it can do more.

Look at how much you can do in Photoshop with no palettes on your screen. Or
menus, even.

I don't anticipate giving up Flash--nothing wrong with having two tools. I
just hope Macromedia will take this as an opportunity to improve their UIs.

Jmckenzie

flasher is generously supported by...