Subject: RE: FLASH: OT: Quantex pc's
From: Eric Smollin
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 16:08:15 +0100

I bought a Quantex PII 350 a couple of years ago. I won't go into detail
about my experience, but let's just say it was less then pleasant. OK, I'll
go into a little detail, I can't help it :)

About 1 month after I received it, the fan on the PII chip broke. I called
and they sent me a new one (with no instructions on how to install it, just
the piece and box to return the old one in).

About three months after that, my motherboard blew out. I called them and
they told me to box it up and ship it to them. Two weeks later I got it back
with a new motherboard. Let me tell you, two weeks is a lifetime without a
computer.

And it gets better...

One year after I purchased it I got a call from a Quantex rep who wanted to
know if I would like to PURCHASE an extended on-site service warranty. I was
quite confused, "on-site warranty? Where was my on-site service warranty
when my motherboard blew out?" I said.
At any rate, I sent an email to customer service explaining in detail while
I was so upset, they responded with an email that said they typically limit
on-site service to problems regarding motherboards and hard drives. I wrote
them back and chastised them for obviously not reading my email, if they had
read it, they would have clearly seen that MY MOTHERBOARD CAUGHT ON FIRE. I
never heard from them again.

I still have the machine today and it's running fine, but I will never
forget how I was treated.

I would never ever buy another Quantex again, nor would I recommend a
Quantex to someone who is looking to buy a new PC. I have to say though,
that's just my experience, I know more then a couple people who bought
Quantex PC's and have had no problems and are very happy with them....

Good Luck
-Eric <------------Not a Quantex fan

>I am looking into purchasing a Quantex Creative Station 1000 (800 mhz, 128
>RAM, 27 GB hd...) and was wondering if anyone has used/is using one and if
>so, what your thoughts are on it. I'm curious how it compares with a Dell
>or Gateway... Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

flasher is generously supported by...