Subject: RE: FLASH: re: scrolling menu info
From: JGL
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 17:18:17 +0100

Got to http://www.flashkit.com

There are a few examples and .fla's! of this type of menu there :)

Look under 'movies' then 'widgets' then 'Classic Slide Menu'

That's one, I'm pretty sure there's another one there too . . .

hth

jgl
> From: "Tobie Kerridge" <tobieatmook [dot] co [dot] uk>

> I recently saw a flash site (I can't remember where I'm afraid) with a
> scrolling navigation at he base of the page. Not only did it scroll left
> right to allow buttons to scroll on to the screen, it also shrunk and
> expanded, in response - I think - to the vertical position of the mouse.
It
> was cool.

this is no doubt the famous yugop.com site

> I guess the whole navigation strip was a movie clip with embedded buttons.
> Does anyone know how to control a movieclip's properties (scale and
> position) by the location of the mouse? Or was this achieved another way?

yep, flash dosent have a mouseloc system property, so you have to attach an
invisible object to the mouse using the startdrag function with the lock
mouse to centre option. then the object will track with the mouse and you
use its x,y pos to control the scrolling/expanding.

infinite wrapping involves tracking the xpos of the main menu strip and
making up the rest to the screen edges with some runtime duplicates.

you can use this technique to emulate all sorts of mouse-relative devices
that dont require buttons.

Its not too difficult but I think someone posted a demo of this, any clues
anyone?

cheers

neil

<--