Subject: FLASH: Re: OT?: and why not swf a w3c standard?
From: Daniel Brown
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 02:34:11 +0100

> To: flasher-digestatchinwag [dot] com
> Subject: flasher-digest V1 #2827
>
> Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:36:29 -0700
> From: jdowdellatmacromedia [dot] com (John Dowdell)
> Subject: Re: FLASH: OT?: and why not swf a w3c standard?
>
> At 1:10 PM 4/9/0, Michael@BTW wrote:
>> Last I heard they were considering Shout3d's implementation of
>> the java3d api for a w3 standard, its not as if a commercial
>> implementation is taboo at the w3c so why not swf instead of SVG?
>
> The World Wide Web Consortium did have a "set of requirements" document for
> a Scalable Vector Graphics for many years now. If you do a web search
> you'll find a later set of SVG requirements from 1998, which was changed
> with editorial comments.
>
> I'm not certain whether the original concise SVG requirments are still on
> the web, but from memory they did require a text-based format, so you could
> edit graphic descriptions in NotePad or SimpleText. For that reason alone
> SWF would not have fit this set of needs.

The ability to edit SVG content in a text editor was hardly the reason a
text-based format was decided upon. There are several reasons why you'd want
this content to be text based. For one thing, you could "generate" dynamic
SVG content out of any scripting system you'd like (Perl, C++, AppleScript,
etc.), you could view it, change it, author it, all with text commands. This
way, creation of content wouldn't be locked away in a binary format.

Other issues include being XML-based, variable scalability of any region,
interchange with surrounding HTML content (each can drive the other), etc.

| / \ | D a n i e l B r o w n danielbatadobe [dot] com
| / \ | Evangelist, Internet Products Group
| / /\ \ | Adobe Systems Inc. 408 536.3437
| / /_ \ \ | 345 Park Avenue
|/_____|_\__\| San Jose, California 95110-2704

flasher is generously supported by...